Q: What special considerations are needed for those with EDS who may be affected by COVID-19?
- For many with Ehlers Danlos syndromes (EDS), being quarantined may not be a big change from their day to day lifestyle. However, many are prone to depression and anxiety due to medical circumstances. We want to make sure that they are feeling safe, not only physically but also emotionally. Check out this resource guide for signs of what to look for, what to do and say, and who to call if you are concerned about the mental health of someone you love.
A large number of individuals with EDS also have asthma, allergies and intermittent breathing difficulties. The CDC says, “People with asthma may be at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19. COVID-19 can affect your respiratory tract (nose, throat, lungs), cause an asthma attack, and possibly lead to pneumonia and acute respiratory disease.” In effect, persons with EDS and asthma need to be especially careful.
- See pages 16-28 in this guide from The Mastocytosis Society to learn more about how our allergies are exacerbated.
- EDS patients who suffer with tachycardia, hypotension, brain fog, weakness and fatigue can benefit from IV fluids. When these patients become ill such as with a virus, IV fluids can be very helpful with helping them to maintain homeostasis as shown in this article. “Intermittent IV infusions of saline dramatically reduce symptoms…”
- Hete is an Emergency Room Guide from The Mastocytosis Society for persons affected by allergies (i.e. Mast Cell Activation) with EDS.
Q: Do you know anyone specifically who needs help?
- Please contact us if you know of someone with a need that we may be able to help with.
Q: What can we do to help provide hope for our community members?
- We want to bring stories to our community about anyone who has survived COVID 19 who also has EDS or another underlying condition to show them how we can survive this. If you have a story, we would love to hear from you. Please email Tammy.KnowEDS@gmail.com
Q: How can patients and medical professionals ensure that they receive the most up to date information from their state?
- Stay up to date by signing up for our emails!